Thursday, October 9, 2008

Me and Indy...


Indiana Jones and I have at least one thing in common -- an irrational fear of snakes. Lucky for me, I haven't seen one all summer. But, alas fall is here and I ran across two today. The first was very much dead on the side of the road. I nearly stepped on it as I was running...which caused me to dart into oncoming traffic.


The second, was very much alive (although very small) and slithering toward my house. I nearly stepped on it as I was returning from my run. No one was home and it looked like it might be headed for our crawlspace vent. I freaked!


I have never killed a snake before...too afraid. But, I mustered up all the bravery I had in me and went for a shovel. I thrust my weapon toward the snake's head, but hit his tail with such force that the snake disappeared about six inches beneath the earth. At that same moment, my iPod cord smacked the back of my arm. I'm sure I looked like a total idiot as I performed some serious martial arts on my earbuds.


Anyway, to make a long story short, I missed about six more times, killed him somewhere around the seventh shot, but hacked on him about 25 or so more times just to be sure the job was done. I feel somewhat like a superhero. Although I'm sure that snake is going to revisit me in my dreams tonight...

No comments: